Pages

Monday 6 February 2012

It's snow excuse

Nobody likes to be cold, apart from maybe penguins and other creatures from Arctic climates. Therefore it comes as little surprise that the weekend snow flurry has had a knock on effect to the start of my week. My journey into work was pretty uneventful, with the roads all in good shape, and somebody had gone to a lot of trouble to distinguish the white parking lines from the snow in the staff car park. Top marks to the Estates Team for their work over the weekend.

However, now that I am in the office, I am finding a trend developing for my student appointments today. I was expecting a pretty busy day with my sign-up sheet jam-packed. And yet here I am, blogging away instead of providing interview advice as I was expecting. The reason - my appointment has not arrived. Nor had the previous appointment and one of my earlier appointments was also missed.

It could be that there are very legitimate reasons for the three no-shows that have happened so far today. However, I am sat here rather bemused as nobody has thought to phone or email me to let me know that they will be unable to attend.

I don't want to start the week with bitter-sounding ramblings, but I think there is an important message that I will be sharing with these three particular students. Throughout your placement search, you should act professionally at all times. I would hope that in the event of not being able to attend an interview, the student would at the very least contact the recruiting company to inform them. Seasonal weather can impact upon travel plans, particularly if public transport is affected. Very rarely can the same be said for mobile communications, and a bit of snow provides little excuse for discourtesy.

On this occasion there is no real damage done, other than some temporary aggravation for their Placement Office. However, I will be reminding these students that if they pull a similar trick with an employer, they should not be surprised to find their application discarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment