Pages

Monday 13 February 2012

Business as usual

For many of the courses at my university, this is reading week. Coincidentally it is also half-term for schools around the country. When I was a student we did not have a reading week, though if we did I will be the first to admit that I would probably have treated it a bit like half-term and just chilled out for a few days. However, now I am a involved with Placements it does frustrate me when some of the students I am working with use it as such.

One of the regular grumbles that I receive from my students is that it is too time-consuming to apply for placements, and it is difficult to balance doing so against the demands of lectures, coursework deadlines and part-time employment. So with lectures off the timetable this week, do I expect to see a raft of applications come my way a packed appointment sheet? Regrettably not.

Here is a little tip for students about careers services up and down the land. During reading week, or out of term time, we are still here and very much open for business. It will probably be quieter which means you have more chance of getting an appointment time to your liking, and because there will be less people coming through the door you can probably be given a little more time than usual to go through your applications.

Looking for placements can be a prolonged activity, and securing internships is a very competitive business. So this reading week, when your friends and classmates are sitting back reading (or playing Xbox, working extra hours etc), why not give yourself an advantage and go to see your placement or careers service instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment