Pages

Monday 15 June 2015

Up Periscope!

Regular readers of this blog will have become accustomed to me getting excited by technology and how it relates to employability issues. I've championed the use of Twitter for student/employer engagement through #PlacementChat, tried my hand at a 6 second CV on Vine, and proved there is more to Pinterest than cats and crochet. However, in this technological age, nothing lasts forever and it is important to keep a close eye on what may be the next big thing.

The new kid on the block which is giving me goosebumps is Periscope, a live streaming app which allow users to broadcast from their mobile/tablet to a worldwide audience. Built by Twitter, Periscope is user friendly and ties in with your existing network of followers. Quite simply, press record and whatever you see on your camera goes live to whoever wants to watch. This includes turning the camera on yourself and speaking about whatever topic comes to mind. Viewers can ask questions to the presenter, making the broadcast interactive.

Given the recent rise of video interviewing technology like Sonru, Periscope seems like a logical extension for how students can put themselves in the eye of employers, or vice versa. For example, rather than utilise expensive webinar software, a recruiter could use Periscope to talk about placement opportunities at their company to interested candidates, with the viewers able to type questions about the scheme live as it happens.

I'm personally excited about using Periscope for my placement activities. This week there is a #PlacementChat scheduled from 4-5pm on Thursday (18 June) and I plan to use Periscope throughout to answer questions that are posed, breaking the shackles of the 140 character limit to provide insightful responses. I hope that my face for radio won't scare people off!

Find me on Periscope and Twitter using @PlacementBlog and we'll see how it works on Thursday!





No comments:

Post a Comment